Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel said Friday that he will sue the Trump administration in federal court over plans announced by Attorney General Jeff Sessions to withhold funds to sanctuary cities.
“We are not going to be between picking our values of who we are as a welcoming city, and strengthening our police department,” Emanuel told WLS-AM in an interview to be broadcast Sunday, The Chicago Tribune reports.
“We’re not going to actually auction off our values as a city, so Monday morning the City of Chicago is going to court,” he added. “We’re going to take the Justice Department to court based on this.
“We find it unlawful and unconstitutional to be, as a city, coerced on a policy.”
The Justice Department declined to comment on Emanuel’s comments Friday, the Tribune reports.
Last month, Sessions said that the federal Byrne Justice Assistance Grants would be withheld from communities that do